Monday, February 15, 2010

Phuket Day 1: Evening Walk


Side Note:
Happy Chinese New Year to everyone !!

For those of you looking for me, unfortunately I am not celebrating this auspicious occasion this year. Family tradition dictates such practice since my dad's passing is not over a year yet. Nonetheless, it does not mean I will skip a few rounds of beer and happy gambling.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, the merry gang from Kuching had arrived on our much looked forward destination, the Phi Phi Island, off the main Phuket Island rather late on our first day. Ideally we would have wanted to reach earlier so we have some time to do some watersports, or splash our filthy bodies into the salt water. It was dangerously close to sunset as we got off our speedboat, and without wasting any time, we moved our asses to the hotel we have booked and settled our stuff in. After a quick freshening up, we gathered together and started to explore the island.

And OMG OMG OMG we were on PHI PHI ISLAND !!!!

Come say with me OMG OMG OMG !!!

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

We stayed at Phi Phi Hotel on our first night there. As we arrived, we were each given a glass of pineapple juice !!!! It was quite a good hotel, but the air conditioning was a little bit, dysfunctional. It was quite bad until I woke up covered in sweat.


The group decided to take a swim into the nearby beach. I decided not to, since the sun was setting, and boy, if you have read anything about landscape photography at all, this has got to be the best time for taking photos of the scenery, non-arguable. I did not buy the 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 lens for nothing, if I am not going to use it to photograph the location at its best time of the day. Therefore, I splitted myself from the group, as they made their way drinking sea water, I took a stroll by myself along the nearby beach, very close to the Pier where we got off earlier. As I was shooting, I realized it was already sunset. I just did what I could, and hoped for the best as the sky was getting really dark, really fast. Window of opportunity was very limited, as I had to cover quite a bit of land and walking distance.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

The view on that evening at the beach was something that will burn into my head for a long long time. It was so spectacular, that I do not really know how to describe them. My photos fail to represent the true colours, and the "wow" feeling I was having as I walked along the soft sand. You just have to be there to experience it yourself.

I also have realized that, the sun was not facing our direction, and the view of the beach we were staying at was actually a sunrise spot instead. Unfortunately, this was rather disadvantageous to me, but I could only complain so much. There was still the twilight to work with, and the colorful hues projected over the soft clouds on the sky was something to awe at. Somehow, mixed with the blue and green waters, you practically have every single color on the spectrum visible to our eyes on the photos !! The view of the boats on the oh so nice waters just added drama to the overall output. The sky was drawing dark every single minute, and the shutter goes slower and slower by the minute. I did not have a tripod with me, hence shooting long after the sun has gone down was not really do-able with my forever shaky hands.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Now, start counting all the colors you can identify on the photographs !! No wonder people who paint landscapes can come up with so many colors, because, they have seen the REAL colors in such sunset. If you are an artist and you need inspiration, you may want to consider taking a trip to Phuket.

I must say that the view on the beach was quite breathtaking, despite the fact that we did not see any sunset here. It was so peaceful, and so calm. The waters were so clean and clear. It begged me to jump in. This was not the best beach on the island just yet, as we would be traveling on another boat to the better beaches on the following day when sunlight was on our side. Nonetheless, being there and witnessing such majestic view, it made me wonder about a lot of things. One of them, being how beautiful this world is, or was supposed to be until we humans ruined everything. Everything looked so pleasingly wonderful as the sky touched the waters. It was not something we could maintain, if we still exist and multiply on this planet.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

The Thai locals there were super friendly !! Although they speak very minimal English, the smiles on their faces were abundant and enough to melt my heart. If only we Malaysians can learn to smile like that a little bit, life would have been much better. I took advantage of this, and went as near as I could to the people and photograph them in their daily chores/activities. They did not seem to mind at all.

Once it got too dark for me to make anymore photos of the landscape, I retraced my steps and walked back towards the streets. The hotel we stayed at, the Phi Phi Hotel was actually smacked in the middle of the night market, or pasar malam. The streets were filled with shops selling various stuff, everywhere. The patrons over-crowded the place like any typical pasar malam you could ever find, but here on the beach-island, most people go shirtless, on bikinis... and sandals. The weather was quite warm actually, hence clothings were minimal, to the point that the only garments needed was to cover the necessary parts of the bodies. Great place to wash eyes after quite a long day.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Seafood was the main food, not surprising being there on an island. According to Kenny Sia, the seafood there was cheap and good. Do not trust Kenny Sia. He exaggerates everything on his blog. Seriously, the seafood on Phuket were all OVERPRICED and theres nothing to shout about them. You can find better seafood in Kuching, and cheaper.

The streets of the pasar malam were brightly lit, and you get lots of things there, selling stuff like cloths, accessories, to services on touring the island, scuba diving, food and many others. I did not buy anything there of course, and my main reason there was not shopping. I am quite a poor engineer, being underpaid but painfully overworked like any other Malaysian engineers. Therefore, all I took home from this visit to the market were photographs, and plenty and plenty of photographs. I guess that itself brings me good enough satisfaction.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Local, very famous Thai dish, Phad Thai. It was sooooooo good, that it beats the crap out of Penang Char Kuey Tiaw anytime. Seriously, it was that good.

*click* image for larger view

There were surprisingly MANY cats on the island. Wonder where they came from, and who brought them onto the island. For some unexplainable reasons, the cats adapted well, and they seemed to be more at home than the people there. All they did was just laze around WHOLE DAY and NIGHT long. I wish I was one of the cats there !! Life seems so good.

That was all for the first day of our trip to Phuket. We called the night off early to make way for the next day. The following day got even more interesting !!

All will come very soon.

4 comments:

  1. The Phad Thai looks good. I'm hungry now at this hour! Grrr...

    Nice kitty photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chong,
    thanks !!
    Yeah the phad thai is really good. There are cats all over phuket !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos are getting better and better! Loving the colours - Yes I'm stalking you lol. I want to go to Phuket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ally,
    thanks !!! The newer entry on the tour around phi phi island is the ultimate !!
    And OMGGGG I got a stalker !!!

    ReplyDelete