Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III Shots That Did Not Make It To The Review

8 Comments
If you have not read my review on the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III, please do read the full article over at Ming Thein's site here (click). 

In case you have not noticed, I have spent a lot more effort in shooting for this review, than I have previously. I was shooting tennis games, which I was not satisfied with my first attempt and returned for a second day to get better shots. Not because of the camera not performing, but me believing I could have done better, as a photographer. I even managed to get a friend, Carmen to model for me, and did something I rarely did, a beauty, arranged, model portraiture. Of course there was the usual insect macro stunt that I always did, and I figured you all have seen me done insect macro in a dozen or more reviews before, and it would have been too repetitive, so I only showed two sample images in the final review. In the midst of the SEA Games 2017 happening in Kuala Lumpur, I even attended the weightlifting, badminton and hockey games. I wanted to shoot some aquatics sports (diving and swimming), as well as gymnastics, but tickets were quickly sold out.

Unsurprisingly I came home with thousands and thousands of photographs, and a tight curation narrowed that pile down to just the series shown in the final review article. To my surprise, not a single street photograph, which was quite an achievement for the first time. And I made sure that every photograph played a part in illustrating the capabilities of the E-M10 Mark III.

Naturally, there are a few more favourite shots that did not make it into the final cut. I thought, why not put them here? Nothing wrong with these shots, some of them were a little redundant if added into the original series.

Malaysian weightlifter, Azroy Hazal. Shot at ISO3200. The Truepic 8 engine in the E-M10 Mark III managed to optimize the details, sharpness and noise suppression. 



This was probably the only insect macro I had with the E-M10 Mark III done at full 1 to 1 magnification with the M.Zuiko 60mm F2.8 Macro lens. All shot hand-held. If you know about macro photography you know how challenging it is to pull off a full magnification shot, especially that on Micro Four Thirds sensor, this was effectively 2 to 1 equivalent on a 35mm format. 

A damselfly. With a tight crop as follows. 

Crop from the previous image

 I even attended an album launch party of a local singer songwriter, Beverly Matujal, in hopes of testing the E-M10 Mark III under low light shooting condition. It turned out the stage was brightly lit, and I was shooting at ISO200-400 most of the time, nowhere near low light at all. Hence I did not include any of these shots in the final cut. 


There are many, many, many more shots of Carmen. I could not thank her enough for doing this. Do give her blog a visit and follow her on Instagram @itscarmenhong
She braved mosquito bites (you can see some of the marks on her legs) with no complains!





Ming Thein has wanted me to write about curation process, and how I edit (meaning, select photos not process) my images for my articles. I probably should sit down and write about that soon.





8 comments:

  1. Your B roll shots are better than my A shots ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, those aren't B-rolls. They were just edited out for a tighter curation. I did intend to fit them in earlier.

      Delete
  2. Your shots ALWAYS look so good! How much post processing do you have to do to make them look this good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally do process my images, but for this particular series, because I was doing a review, only minimal processing was applied. Almost as good as straight out of camera.

      Delete
  3. Hi Robin,

    Thanks for great review of EM-10 markiii. Sometimes I wished Olympus made all EM-1 II features in EM-10 size. I never shoot video and only photo is my main interest as hobby. Since you have extensively tested EM-10 mark iii, set aside video and price, what will you pick between EM-10 ii and EM-10 iii? I have EM-1 mark i and I do not like the size of EM-1 and that is the reason I do not get EM-1 II. My main concern is focus speed and IBIS between the two for still photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin,

    I'm still using Olympus E-PL5. I plan to upgrade to OMD E-M10 Mark III. Is it worth it?

    TQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So... Robin, how do you make a living now that you quit Olympus and only seem to contribute to Ming's site?
    Yesterday I read a recent back issue of Shutterbug. AUTHOR TOOK EM1 and 300mm f4 and Nikon 850 and lens to Alaska and the Yukon. Printed 16 x 20s and found Oly (even EM1) to compare favorably with FF Nikon. Weight and hand hold with IS got him Eagles He would have missed with heavy Nikon and tripod.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robin, what lens and aperture did you use for the Carmen's full length shot (with alley behind her, not the one on the stairs)? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete